Today's lunch features one of Kidlet's absolute favorite comfort foods: Mushroom Pie! I can't remember now how I first stumbled upon this recipe but it is simple and delicious! Despite being Spring now it's still quite cold where we are so this was a welcome warm supper turned lunch!
Main Compartment: Mushroom Pie
Large Side Compartment: Salad
Small Side Compartment: Satsuma and grapes
Super Easy Mushroom Pie
* 2 1/2 cups chopped onions
* 3 tablespoons butter
* 8 cups chopped mushrooms
* 1 teaspoon dried thyme
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* lots fresh ground black pepper
* 8 ounces cream cheese
* 2 1/2 cups flour
* 2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 1 cup butter
* 1 cup sour cream
* flour, for coating the dough and board for rolling
* 1 egg
* 1 tablespoon milk
1. Saute the onions in butter in a large skillet.
2. When the onions are soft and translucent, add the mushrooms and thyme
and suate for a few more minutes, until the mushrooms release their
3. Add the seasonings.
4. Cut the cream cheese into small pieces and stir it into the mushrooms until it melts.
5. Remove from the heat and set aside until crust is ready.
6. Preheat oven to 400°F.
7. For the crust, combine the flour, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
8. Cut in the butter just enough to achieve a crumbly mix.
9. Stir in the sour cream to form a soft dough.
10. Generously dust the dough with flour and form into a ball.
11. On a heavily floured surface, roll out 2/3 of the dough to fit a 10 inch pie plate.
12. Trim the edges.
13. Fill with the mushroom mixture.
14. Roll out the remaining dough about 1/4 inch thick (Thicker than normal pie crust) and cut into strips 1 inch wide.
15. Weave the strips into a lattice over the filling.
16. Fold the ends of the lattice strips under the bottom crust, pinch the edges together, and flute.
17. For the glaze, beat the egg and milk.
18. With a pastry brush, thoroughly coat the pie crust. (You will have more glaze than you will need).
19. Bake the pie for 25-35 minutes, until the crust is puffy and golden.